Wedding cake, cake, cake, cake, cake, cake, cake, cake



I can't talk about cake without having a short dance break to this, one of the best cake-based tunes ever made.

Over the Christmas break, I've spoken to a lot of family members about our wedding plans or lack thereof. The truth is, as we've not nailed down a venue yet, I've not planned anything else out, in case the theme or look and feel changes dramatically due to a total change of location or available space. My Pinterest is full, but I'm remaining uncommitted to any of the pins, in case I get too attached to anything that I can't have.

One particular aspect of the wedding I can look at though, is the cake. This was pointed out to me by Tom's side of the family, and I hadn't really thought about it before. To me, the cake was an afterthought, an expensive mountain of icing that people tend to throw at each other at the end of the night. I'd planned a pile of pork pies in my head. They encouraged me to look into what you can get and now the cake has become a fun centrepiece to the day, a pretty focal point that ties together the colour themes of the whole wedding while tasting delicious.

As a result, I've been obsessively researching cake flavours and frankly I'm stunned by what's available. I know that fruit cake has fallen out of favour (anyone who doesn't like fruit cake is wrong though) but I guessed that wedding cakes were mostly about the decoration. How wrong I was.


In all the Serious Research I have been partaking in, these are the flavours I think will be the most popular in 2018/2019, given the amount of times they're mentioned, the popularity of photos of them on Pinterest and how delicious they sound. One of the trends I've spotted happening more and more is bespoke choices - people are starting to pick-and-mix their sponge, fillings and icings with interesting and delicious results!

Sponge

  • Lemon and poppy seed
  • Carrot and walnut
  • Mocha
  • Champagne/Prosecco
  • Vanilla/Tonka Bean
  • Condensed milk chiffon
  • Chocolate brownie
  • Butterscotch crunch
  • Blueberry and vanilla
  • Orange
  • Confetti

Filling

  • Dairy cream and fresh fruit
  • Cream cheese frosting
  • Strawberry cheesecake frosting
  • Coffee cream
  • Nutella
  • Dark chocolate ganache
  • Vanilla buttercream
  • Lemon cream
  • White chocolate ganache
  • Salted caramel icing

Icing/Decoration

  • Buttercream and hundreds and thousands
  • Sugared edible flowers
  • Ganache
  • Textured icing - royal, buttercream or rolled fondant
  • Cream cheese frosting
  • Chocolate glaze
  • Whipped cream
  • Fresh fruit

Trends seem to be moving towards focusing on the flavour of the cake rather than a huge amount of elaborate fondant icing and in my opinion, that's a great thing. Naked cakes have taken a bit of a detour and are being more glamourously adorned with luxurious fruits, flowers and a touch of gold leaf.

This beautiful wedding shoot was featured in Mr & Mrs Unique
From Whimsical Wonderland Weddings
From a gorgeous autumnal wedding shoot in Rock My Wedding
Starkly stylish white cakes have a touch of geometry or texture added by smart icing application or hand-painted and metallic leaf accents.

From Hitched.co.uk



Traditional cakes are enjoying a more demure refresh, with bespoke cake-toppers and drip icing, fresh flowers, glazes or ombré effects.

From Whimsical Wonderland Weddings
Le Papillion patisserie


Although they're not going to fit in with my particular theme, I do love a ruffle cake. They look light and delicious, which shows that now the emphasis is on getting guests to tuck in, rather than pocket a slice politely. I'm all for it. More delicious cake for everyone!

Comments

Popular Posts